Thursday, March 28, 2013

Redefining Focus (at least as it relates to writing)

I've set my intent and, hopefully, unblocked the flow of words from my mind to my fingertips to my keyboard.  Now I need to decide what to write about.

Since starting this blog a few days ago, I have been learning about the whole "blogging" thing, and it raises many many choices for me about writing.  Sure, I am learning the technical stuff...how to link to another blogger's article, the do's and don'ts of blogging, etc.  But now, there's a new conundrum: what kind of writing do I want to do?

This should be a no-brainer.  I have always wanted to write fiction...huge books like the ones I enjoy so much.  When I was younger, I really wanted to write sci-fi/fantasy books, though now I like a more broad definition of fiction that can include many genres.  I have so many ideas, I just need to get them started.

Reading through other blogs, however, has thrown a little kink in the works.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have written non-fiction in the form of tax articles (ghost written for the boss, but published in an industry trade journal, nonetheless) as well as other business related items.  I have plenty of ideas for how-to books, as well.  The blogs I am  now following talk about getting paid to write, and many of them talk specifically about blogging for pay.  I had vaguely considered this notion, though not wholeheartedly.  Getting paid for writing would be wonderful...it just hasn't been my main motivation in this venture.  The thought of getting paid to do something I love is exciting! The accountant in me says I wouldn't make enough to replace my current income, so what would be the point?

Well, I'm not listening to the accountant, because that would mean giving up without even trying, as though money is the only reason to do it.  My goal here, let's be very clear, is to WRITE!  Not necessarily to replace my current career with a writing career, though I will definitely leave the door open to that possibility.  I expect to refine, focus, and hone my skills so that I can create writing products that I can be personally proud to call my own.  I want to write books, stories, and articles that I am interested in reading.  I am a pretty tough judge of quality writing, if I do say so, myself.  If I can write something that I would want to read, then I know I've done something good.

On that note, while I will still be blogging, I have decided I also need to spend time writing some fiction that can turn out to be a story or a full-fledged book.  I know that is ultimately what I want to do, so blogging, alone, will not be enough for me.  I could consider writing my fiction on the blog, but I have been advised against doing just that, and other good tips for writing a book, by a blog I read this morning.  Therefore, instead of blogging every single day, I have decided I will blog a few times a week and spend my time on the other days working on my writing project, offline.  

Don't be too disappointed, dear reader.  After all, you haven't even met me, yet.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment