Monday, March 25, 2013

Unblock the flow...

Wow, it's been such a long time since I wrote anything just for me.  I've written research articles and technical pieces for work, papers for homework, long notes in greeting cards, etc., but I haven't really written anything just for me in years.

That's where this blog comes in.  I've felt for a very long time that I should be a writer, and yet... Well, ...and yet.  I haven't done it.  I've set my career course on "stable" and "make some money", and therefore have spent years trying to do just that, and have let my writing sit in the dark back corner of my mind's closet.  I've had plenty of "what if?" moments and long daydreams about what would have happened had I chosen to create a career that only included the things I am really interested in doing...rather than something I happen to be able to do well.

Right now, I am taking a mini-break from a complicated corporate tax return to recharge my brain cells by doing something more interesting.  I decided it is finally time to start writing again.

Using this blog, my goal is to write a few minutes every chance I get.  I'm not concerned with editing or being creative, sensitive, inspiring, or anything else.  I just need to write.  I can trace my original writer's block back to my high school creative writing class.  I NEVER had any problem thinking up a story and writing away at a furious pace...until that class.

I remember we had specific projects that we would be completing during the year: certain types of poems, a couple of short stories, fiction, non-fiction, etc.  The class involved specifics about writing that I never really bothered to think about when I wrote, such as creating characters and plots.  Those things just happened when I wrote....before.  Now (and for the many years between that class and today), I get so bogged down with "where do I start first?" that I end up not starting anything at all!

I have had ideas, and even jotted a couple of them down on scrap paper...but they didn't make it any further.  So now, today, I pledge to pull myself out of the figurative mud and just write.  Just let it flow.  Disregarding grammar, punctuation, spelling (well, maybe not...since I'm pretty obsessive about all that....) and just let the words flow, unhindered until eventually something useful pops out of the gush.

That's all for today.  Back to my tax returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment