Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Focus

Yesterday was all about procrastination, so I've decided to turn the tables and make today about focus.  I have goals, I want to reach them, and I certainly don't want it to be me that stands in the way!

I've been doing Bikram yoga before work now for nearly 90 days straight.  It started out as just a work out goal, but has morphed into something else.  Even though I had migraines every single day for the first 12 or 13 classes, I persisted.  I was determined to figure out how to make it work for me and to get rid of the migraines at the same time.  I figured if I stuck with it long enough, either my body would get used to it, or I would figure out what I was doing wrong and stop doing it.  Either way, I don't get the migraines any more...so I'm happy with that.  I can't be certain if it was the persistence or if I learned something along the way, but I know that I had to focus in class and really focus on breathing to reach my goal.  I have 4 days left to reach my 90 days.  Then, I'll tack on another 30 days to my next goal. Focus!

Every morning, focus on breathing.  Every morning, focus on clearing the mind so that those 90 minutes are used to clear out all the crap in my head so that I can be more efficient, clear, productive, peaceful, etc. throughout the rest of the day.  I haven't come close to mastering the focus of clearing the mind, yet.  I am working on it.  It's amazing how my mind doesn't stop thinking of random things. Ever. It never stops. Not even when I sleep!  I really need this part of yoga. Focus!

This morning, when I was trying to clear my mind in class, I decided I need to practice the same focus outside the hot room.  For work, of course, that's a given.  Quit procrastinating and do my work in a more evenly time-spaced manner and I will be rewarded with a peaceful tax season (Good luck with that!) and not feel rushed. For my writing focus, I first need to set a time....or at least a mood...that works best for me to write.  Then, I need to make sure to do it then.  Today, I was thinking about focus, I was thinking about my goals, I was thinking about writing.  What better time to just do it, than right now?  By knocking out my few minutes to write first thing in the day (well, after yoga class), I feel I've already made progress toward one of my most important goals, which frees me up to be productive in other areas of my day.  Focus!

Now, I'll tackle some more returns. How about a mini-goal?  I'll focus on completing two big projects today.  Ready? Set? Go! Focus!


No comments:

Post a Comment